[plug] Windows to Linux Samba backup concepts

hatari hatari at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 18 19:43:33 WST 2006

Advice please....

I am toying with the concept of backing up various Windows servers to a
Linux fileserver with RAID, running Samba.  [Currently, there are 2
option whose name escapes me right now.]

There will be about 600-GB nightly.  If I need to use this backup to
re-build a part, or all, of a server will I have lost Windows-based file
permissions?

In fact I need to know what sorts of problems I might encounter so your
advice is appreciated, although I need the first question answered asap.

If this is not possible then I must revert to the traditional approach
of buying a "massive" tape drive etc.

Regards,