[plug] Closure of OSWA

Chris Wake sagenet at sagenet.net.au
Sat Oct 21 09:56:28 WST 2006

Hi All,
  It's now pretty clear that the public has been misled and OpenSourceWA is in
fact closing on 31st October rather than the relocation claimed by the
Department of Imbeciles and Revocations - the server room is now a pathetic 3
machine reflection of its former glory and Departmental flunkies have been
busily auditing the premises (because they are truly incompetent and "can't
find" the asset register) If anyone has any information with regards to the
alleged 'relocation' I'd be happy to be informed!

Now to the evidence! (available at http://www.saveopensourcewa.com)
(apologies for the crappy pdf's - time constraints! :-)

Stephen Grocott has claimed in both the article in the West Australian
newspaper and in a response to a PLUG member's enquiry that there is no
threat to funding and that the Department recognises the need to put more
funding/resources behind Open Source activities. Looks a little like a load
of garbage considering staff are being terminated 'due to budgetary
constraints'! These are clearly conflicting statements and at the very least
expose some pretty ordinary communication within the Department, if not a
deliberate attempt to quell the community's discontent over the decision to
close OSWA with a grubby lie. Typical of public servants!

They are also stupid enough to be claiming to be terminating the contract
under Clause 2 - ie the project is completed, but if it is just a relocation,
not a closure then how can it have been completed? And why does the
termination letter not refer to this?

Personally, I think the Department's behaviour is nothing short of disgraceful
- these people are managing taxpayers' money and are clearly not doing a very
good job of it! Director General of the Department of Industry and Resources,
Jim Limerick should be ashamed of himself and his staff.

Sorry I'm a one-topic wonder but I can't believe these guys don't suffer any
consequences from their LIES!

Cheers

--
Chris Wake