[plug] 2.4 series kernel and LSI Logic 1020, 1030 SCSI card drivers

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Fri Oct 20 22:33:01 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 13:08 +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
> Dear PLUG list members,
>
> Debian Linux running 2.4.26 kernel.   Need to add an LSI Logic 1020 or 1030
> card to drive a new tape backup unit.   menuconfig does not refer to either
> of those - and IIRC does not mention LSI Logic at all.
>
> LSI Logic site has downloads for 2.4 kernels but the latest patches seem to
> be for more elderly kernels (2.4.19 I think is the latest I've seen so far.)
>
> Is there another driver that would do, or should I simply ignore the
> downloaded documentation and install the patches anyway? :-)

If your considering patching the kernel then why not visually check if
they have been included in the kernel you want to use.

There is a chance they will apply and the internals shouldn't have
changed much in those later versions.

If they haven't been merged already and they don't apply sanely (as
opposed to cleanly) you have a problem and you'll need to go to the
mailing lists.

Ian