[plug] WAIX

EricS ews.mail at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 23:06:16 WST 2006

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006, quoth EricS:
>
>> as this shows hop 5 on the way to the mirror is WAIX
>> How do I ensure the return path is via WAIX ?
>> It used to be, but for the last month or so it hasn't.
>> Any info on this will be appreciated.
>
> There is no way of knowing for certain - other than asking WestNet to
> route you a WAIX-only IP address and using that for your downloading,
> although I don't know if they still offer that.
>
> You can traceroute from Pacific's looking glass, but there is no guarantee
> that their looking glass shares the same routing policy as their FTP
> mirror.  The odds are good though.
>
> http://mrtg.pacific.net.au/zip-lg.html
>
> Interestingly enough, a traceroute from there to a 202.72.* westnet IP
> does not go via WAIX, but a traceroute to WestNet WAIX-only IP address
> space (203.31.12.*) does - and I can still connect to
> mirror.pacific.net.au from my WAIX-only IP.

Matt
Thanks for the info
Westnet just got back to me and said they are looking into it for me.
As a work around I am pointing my updates at ftp://ftp.iinet.com.au/
which is coming in via WAIX.
I wish it was consistent as I've just been shaped after downloading some
distro iso's.
Oh well such is life.

Again thanks for the info
Cheers