[plug] Which wiki is the wiki for me

Russell russellsteicke at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 22:27:47 WST 2006

On 10/31/06, Ian Kent <raven at themaw.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to put together a Wiki for Linux autofs documentation.
>
> But I don't know much about Wikis so I was hoping that people on the
> list have had some experience with the different packages available.
>
> So what is the best Wiki to use?

For me, Moinmoin.  I looked around at the differences in markup while
searching for an internal wiki at work, and found moin to be the best
from that point of view, in that almost none of its markup is
something you would want to type in normal text.  Mediawiki is also
very good in that way, but I find it disconcerting to have every line
of text (including nested lists) jammed up against the left margin,
which is what mediawiki markup seems to require.  Twiki is
particularly bad in my opinion.  For example twiki separates cells in
table markup by single '|' characters, whereas sane wiki markup uses
'||'.

A disadvantage of moin is that it requires python on the server, which
may not be available on your web hosting service.  Mediawiki is
written in php, which probably will be available.

--
Virus found in this message, somewhere.  But we're not going to tell you where.