[plug] *bsd

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Sep 1 13:03:16 WST 2006

loki wrote:

> I'm a long time lurker and would like to start attending
> the plug workshops.
>
> I have used linux a fair bit previously (a few years ago and
> intermittenly since). I would like to attend your meetings, but I
> predominantly use openbsd.

Once upon a time, the PLUG web site said something like "we also welcome
fellow travellers using BSD operating systems".  I think that sentence
got lost when I rewrote the web site, but I doubt the sentiment has
changed at all.  There are a few BSD users in Perth, and you might find
that there are a few lurking on this list if you speak up :-)

> Another thought; You previously had a hackers night for cool code
> ideas. Would this happen again?

It could do if someone wants to make it happen.  The "hacking" that went
on was predominantly on the Computer Angels distribution, and as that
became 'ready' enough that we didn't need the regular occasions to work
on it, it fell by the wayside a bit.  There was also a bit of a shift in
the types of people attending to those who would probably be better off
at the fourth-Monday workshops.

We might also take a leaf out of CLUG's book: they have a "programmer
SIG" where someone gives an informal talk (over dinner) about something
cool they've done or learned about.  A similar format might work well
for new improved hacker nights.  Whatever ends up happening, it'd be
good to have something in the hacker night spirit again.

Cameron