[plug] backing up and restoring hard drive image

Jason uq1 at hate-tank.net
Tue Sep 5 16:57:30 WST 2006

greetings all.

the hard drive in my laptop has decided to die (this is the laptop's second hard drive - the first failed in a similar fashion) and I need to return
the hard drive for warranty purposes, but won't get a new drive until they confirm the hard drive is b0rked.

I want to dd the hard drive to create a backup image and store that on another machine, then, once I get the new hard drive, restore that image so
the computer won't realise anything has happened.

can anyone recommend a distro that I can boot from a cd which will allow me to ftp the backup image into some form of temporary FS, either on
the drive or in memory, which I can then restore using dd?

thanks in advance,

jason.