[plug] Cisco VPN client installation problems

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 9 03:49:47 WST 2006

vpnc wont work at Murdoch because of a parameter they are are using that
vpnc does not handle - its apparently necessary to deal with some
backend softwares authentication requirement - not through choice! (I
asked)

the sk_buff issue was due to a kernel change - get a later version or
edit the files involved - think it was only in a couple of places.  The
one supplied through Murdoch used to be quite old.

I am currently using 4.700.0640 without problems with kernels up to
2.6.18-rc6.  I was talking to some students using ubuntu (I think) last
semester and the standard kernel config at that time didnt have some of
the needed ip_sec stuff turned on - something to watch.

comment: the windows version seems much more stable - the linux one is
quite flakey, dropping dead with every wireless signal glitch.  OpenVPN
is much better :)  Watch firewall issues - because the device only comes
up after the module is probed, you need to reload iptables at that point
(depends on config though - very frustrating!)

BillK