[plug] Cisco VPN client installation problems

caston at arach.net.au caston at arach.net.au
Sat Sep 9 10:29:45 WST 2006

Quoting William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au>:

> vpnc wont work at Murdoch because of a parameter they are are using that
> vpnc does not handle - its apparently necessary to deal with some
> backend softwares authentication requirement - not through choice! (I
> asked)
>
> the sk_buff issue was due to a kernel change - get a later version or
> edit the files involved - think it was only in a couple of places.  The
> one supplied through Murdoch used to be quite old.
>
> I am currently using 4.700.0640 without problems with kernels up to
> 2.6.18-rc6.  I was talking to some students using ubuntu (I think) last
> semester and the standard kernel config at that time didnt have some of
> the needed ip_sec stuff turned on - something to watch.
>
> comment: the windows version seems much more stable - the linux one is
> quite flakey, dropping dead with every wireless signal glitch.  OpenVPN
> is much better :)  Watch firewall issues - because the device only comes
> up after the module is probed, you need to reload iptables at that point
> (depends on config though - very frustrating!)
>
> BillK

Thanks Bill,

Good to hear from another person using the wlan and VPN at Murdoch.
Thank you for letting me know about vpnc and the stability of the Linux CISCO
client.

I am currently using 4.6.02 which is the only one that is available for download
from wwwcoms site. I cannot find anywhere I can download it as I think there are
distribution restrictions. I have e-mailed helpdesk for a updated version.

I think my kernel actually came from sid sources. Anyway to find out if it
supports IPSEC?

When you say OpenVPN is much better I assume you mean as the VPN server and that
OpenVPN software won't help me connect to the CISCO VPN?

thanks,

Chris