[plug] Booting with root RAID1 with a missing disk?

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Sun Sep 10 16:46:15 WST 2006

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, quoth Andrew Furey:

> to kick it out of the array. This also works - the system is now
> happily running off /dev/hdc2 solely, and it also still works on a
> subsequent reboot.
>
> Now the difficult bit - I unplug /dev/hda (with the power off, of
> course) and start up again... and it won't boot :(

Have you tried connecting "hdc" as "hda" (ie plug it into the primary IDE
controller) and booting from that?  md will complain that "this disk was
previously hdc" but should continue booting from it.

I do this all the time with SCSI (or SATA) devices where of course if you
remove sda, all the other drives get shifted one letter.

 - Matt Kemner
  Penguin Care		Tel: Perth 08 9322 3444	Brisbane 07 3337 9988
  Mob: 04 2022 3444	Fax: Perth 08 9221 3444	Brisbane 07 3337 9977