[plug] Booting with root RAID1 with a missing disk?

Andrew Furey andrew.furey at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 15:40:34 WST 2006

On 9/10/06, Matt Kemner <zombie at penguincare.com.au> wrote:
> Have you tried connecting "hdc" as "hda" (ie plug it into the primary IDE
> controller) and booting from that?  md will complain that "this disk was
> previously hdc" but should continue booting from it.

Ah, of course, presumably since from memory RAID1 treats the first
disk as the master and syncs the others from it. Now it works
better...

Now I just have to reproduce the problem with some official tools,
like WD's own diagnostics programs. No luck so far, with alternating
between extended test and "write zeros"... I suspect it's not really
stressing the disk enough :(

Andrew

--
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.