[plug] ssh scans

Stuart Midgley stuart.midgley at ivec.org
Mon Sep 11 09:43:51 WST 2006

rules like these can also assist

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -
m recent --set --name SSH --rsource
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -
j SSH_WHITELIST
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -
m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 5 --rttl --name SSH --
rsource -j LOG --log-prefix "SSH_brute_force"
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -
m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 5 --rttl --name SSH --
rsource -j DROP

which only accept 5 connections in 60s to port 22... if it gets more
than that, it drops the packets.  Doesn't work with old versions of
iptables.

Stu.

--
Dr Stuart Midgley