[plug] Fluid damage to Laptop

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Mon Sep 11 13:52:53 WST 2006

Shayne O'Neill wrote:

>> you can wash it with the garden hose if you like!
>>

> Um, Don't do this. You'll oxidise the heck out of the solder joints
> seriously reducing the life time.

Did you read any further from this line?  I suspect a little selective
reading has occurred here.  After wine, water is (/*relatively*/)
inert.  You do what you can with what you have.  The alternative is do
nothing.  So, if the item is dead now, and you don't know how much money
you want to throw at it on the off chance that it might come back to
life, I'd say that the "hose" treatment is a good way to go - especially
given that it works fine.

> Use a proper cleaning solution, something that is NON conductive, and
> preferably inert.

Obviously the best solution.  But MUCH more expensive than mine, and
mine works-a-treat.  Mind you I don't use the garden hose as a rule, but
the kitchen sink.  I have used the hose on a couple of keyboards and I'm
still using one of them right this minute.  It had about 90% of a can of
cool drink through it.  The hose followed by metho, then left in the
summer sun for an hour or 2 did the trick.  That was about 8 or 9 years
ago - I do like my old IBM model M keyboards :-)

> Give it a once over with a blast of air to properly dry it, and swing a
> cat 3 times around your head for good luck.

Compressed air is a good idea if you have a compressor available

Cheers
Kev