[plug] Cloning Linux and Windows

Ikhwan Rivai ikhwanr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 12:55:53 WST 2006

Hi,
I am giving CTV (Community TV) a hand revamping their Network. I have
been in to see their network and a problem they have is there are a
large number of volunteers which change regularly which come in and
download and install all sorts of things. So have taken a bit of a
gamble and going to push out kubuntu to their office workstations.
Their editing workstations will remain as Windows boxes but will need
to be reinstalled.

I want to make a "golden client" and image it onto a server and push
it out to when installing or re image. I am contemplating imaging the
Windows systems as well as I am sure they will get damaged over time.
I don't want to spend hours installing Linux onto all the machines
individually and hound the connection with all the updates and
additional software for the Linux boxes.

I have been playing around a little with sysresccd.org using
partimage. I haven't done anything successfully due to time restraints
but I do see it as being possible for me to do (fingers crossed).
While doing searches I have found some info regarding
http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/ and http://drbl.sourceforge.net/.

There is where I mention I am new to Linux! Feb 2006, not even a year old.

I am going through the partimage stuff at the moment but was wondering
if clonezilla would be a better way to go. If anyone had any insight
or even better a nice howto url it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Ikhwan