[plug] Cloning Linux and Windows

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Tue Sep 12 13:20:21 WST 2006

Ikhwan Rivai wrote:
> Hi,
> I am giving CTV (Community TV) a hand revamping their Network. I have
> been in to see their network and a problem they have is there are a
> large number of volunteers which change regularly which come in and
> download and install all sorts of things. So have taken a bit of a
> gamble and going to push out kubuntu to their office workstations.
> Their editing workstations will remain as Windows boxes but will need
> to be reinstalled.

LOL.  Good luck.  How did you convince Tibor (not to mention Ian and
Peter) to switch?  I nagged them for the two years I was there and they
refused to change.  We set up a linux box for them to test and they
refused to touch it.

Have they upgraded the editing suites?  Or are they still trying to edit
  HDV on 1999 spec machines (with the occasional bargain-basement one
thrown in)? Last year they received an equipment grant which was
supposed to be spent upgrading the editing suites and buying software
rather than pirating everything but instead they spent $21,000 buying
high-def cameras that the existing editing suites can't handle.

>  If anyone had any insight

Best thing you can do is leave now =). Otherwise be prepared to be on 24
hour call (no joke) for no money and even less thanks.

skribe