[plug] howto burn after dvd::rip

Ranime ranime at westnet.com.au
Wed Sep 13 10:38:26 WST 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:16 am, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Ranime wrote:
> > I for whatever reason that is yet to be worked out, have not been
> > able to get 'dvd:rip' or 'dvd:shrink'  for linux working on my
> > current system....
> > However, using vobcopy " vobcopy -m " copys the whole dvd to hard
> > drive. followed by 'dvd shrink' fror winbloze
> > under wine if needed, works VERY well.
>
> Seconded, this is *exactly* how I do it.. results have always been
> spectacular and with recent releases of WINE the experience is far
> more pleasant.
>
> One problem with vobcopy I have noticed is it tends to just keep
> going in the case of read errors, writing out corrupt data to the
> target file in case of a misread. I patched my copy locally years ago
> and submitted patches upstream but I recently downloaded the latest
> version and it appears it's still not checking return codes properly.
> I just made the version I have here error out and give me a chance to
> really clean the disc properly.

More info:
I had found that the read errors that HAD happened for me exactly as you
describe were caused by the dvd not being fully/correctly mounted...
Hence,  from a shell     for me 'dev/cdrom0'  is correct, yours may be
'/dev/cdrom1' or   '/dev/dvd' .... dont ask me to explain that one.

'eject /dev/cdrom0'        will open the dvd draw.
'eject -t /dev/cdrom0'     will load and mount the dvd.

when the prompt returns to allow you to type the next command,
then the dvd is mounted fully.... the time it takes to mount the dvd can
vary ......
then it is safe to type    'vobcopy -m'

I could be wrong of course , but by following this rule I have had a
100% success rate..... done many dvd for my personal use in the last 6
months.
--
Regards.
Max