[plug] How to change default document under Open Office 2.0

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Wed Sep 13 11:13:20 WST 2006

Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 19:30 +0800, dbuddrige at wasp.net.au wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am running Open Office 2.0.  The really annoying thing about it at
>> the moment, is that new Text Documents default to US Letter.  Does
>> anyone know how to change the configuration so that it defaults to A4?
>> I am also trying to change the default margin sizes.  I have been
>> hunting around under Tools->Options but to no avail.
>>
>> thanks heaps guys
>>
>> David Buddrige. 8-)
>
> (rant/) Yes, it's part of that insidious American cultural imperialism
> that sees them forcing their differences on the rest of the world ;-)
> (/rant)
>
> The way out of this problem is to go to <Format><Page>.  You will find
> page size, orientation, margins, etc there.  While it appears as if
> those options are just for the current document, you have the chance to
> save your changes as the 'default' template once you have reconfigured
> settings to suit your need.  Henceforth all new documents will carry
> _your_ 'default' settings when using that default text file template.
>
> Quoting from the OO.o help file:
> -------------------------
> Changing the Default Template
> The default template contains the default formatting information for new
> text documents. If you want, you can create a new template and use it as
> the default template.
>
>      1. Create a document and the content and formatting styles that you
>         want.
>      2. Choose File - Templates - Save.
>      3. In the New Template box, type a name for the new template.
>      4. In the Categories list, select "Default", and then click OK.
>      5. Choose File - Templates - Organise.
>      6. In the category list, double-click the "Default" folder.
>      7. Right-click the template that you created, and choose Set as
>         Default template.
>      8. Click Close.
>
> To reset the default template:
>      1. Choose File - Templates - Organise.
>      2. Right-click a folder in the category list, choose Reset Default
>         Template - Text Document.
>      3. Click Close.
> ------------------------
>
> So there you have it.  Help was not that far away, after all ;-)

I've found that to make stick in my StarOffice8 (not the same but very
similar) I had to go to "launch Menu" -> "Control Centre" -> "General
Settings" -> "Regional Settings" and make sure that ALL the Oz defaults
are set there.  StarOffice picks up the system defaults from there and
uses them for itself - as it should of course, but many apps don't.

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 4
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!