[plug] howto burn after dvd::rip

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Wed Sep 13 17:00:33 WST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 09:36 +0800, Ranime wrote:
> I for whatever reason that is yet to be worked out, have not been able
> to get 'dvd:rip' or 'dvd:shrink'  for linux working on my current
> system....

I empathise, I tried in vain to build both from source on a FC4 system
and gave it up as too taxing with seeming never ending list of
dependencies (note: for the second app I mean Xdvdshrink, not
dvd:shrink).  I am happy to say that having switched to suse 10.1, I can
be spoilt by having both fully packaged and installed by smart or
yast :-)

I started out using Xdvdshrink, but found it wanting.  It would report
errors and fail far too often, and even though it promised support for
multi-episode dvds it made a hash of these for me.  YMMV.

Some advocated I try dvd::rip when I asked for advice on ripping apps in
a previous thread, but it has always looked far too complex for the
task.  I was hoping that one of these advocates would have piped up and
answered my original question of this thread: that is, howto burn after
dvd::rip.  So far there don't seem to be any dvd::rip regulars reading
this thread (hint, hint) ;-)

> However, using vobcopy " vobcopy -m " copys the whole dvd to hard drive.
> followed by 'dvd shrink' fror winbloze
> under wine if needed, works VERY well.

You're NOT the first to advocate running a windoze app under wine as the
solution for this purpose.  Shame on you! ;-) ;-)  Seriously though, all
that trouble is not needed, because dvds can be done with Xdvdshrink (if
it works for you) or k9copy.  As I said before, I can't recommend k9copy
highly enough.  Repeat after me: "using k9copy is EASY, EASY, EASY".

> And, using 'k3b' i can create a DVD DATA disc,.
> copy only the .VOB files that you want , and rename the 'VTS_01_1.VOB or
> whatever required vob to the name of the video clip or music video
> etc.. to whatever.VOB and burn to the dvd.

This just doesn't work for me.  My dvd player just craps out on it and
tells me the dvd only has a root menu, and then won't play anything.  In
other words, none of the original menu structure or chapter list is
reproduced in this method.

-snip-

> Hope that helps somewhat and that i have not missed the point of your
> requirements ?
> There is of course the correct way to create a standard dvd with a
> proper menu etc, using an authering software.... which is probably what
> you want, but as i said this way of doing it does work.

You provided some interesting information, which is all 'grist for the
mill'.  Your talk about vob files confuses me because I can't get any
sense out of them when I burn them to disc.  No one has yet told me how
_they_ go about making best use of dvd::rip :-(.

As for those using windoze apps under wine, I say (again) give k9copy a
shot :-)  Here, look I think I already said that ;-)

> > When not struggling with dvd::rip, I have found great simplicity and
> > success with k9copy.  I highly recommend it to anyone.  The ONLY flaw
> > with that app is that occasionally the burns have some little
> > glitches and drop outs.  Murphy's Law dictates that whenever that
> > occurs it is at the climax of a scene :-(  If not for that I wouldn't
> > think to look elsewhere.

Gavin