[plug] howto burn after dvd::rip

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed Sep 13 19:36:12 WST 2006

On 13 Sep 2006 at 17:00, Gavin Chester wrote:

> This just doesn't work for me.  My dvd player just craps out on it and
> tells me the dvd only has a root menu, and then won't play anything.
In
> other words, none of the original menu structure or chapter list is
> reproduced in this method.
>
> -snip-

Your first query about burning .vob files to a DVD, makes me think that
you do not fully understand the structure required for creating a usable
DVD. If I am wrong please forgive my ignorance on this matter.

I am not an expert on this matter - but it is not a simple matter of just
burning .vob files to a DVD disk - the files need to be structured in a
specific way.

You at least need to create an .ifo file - either manually or using a DVD
authoring/mastering package - a lot of software packages do this
transparently but it is possible to do it manually - I don't know how to
do it myself .

Have a look at the following sites - they are not Linux specific - but
they do try to give some understanding of DVD files structures :

http://www.mpucoder.com/DVD/

http://web.archive.org/web/20020803032536/http://dvdpro.com/dvd.htm

http://ifoedit.wh.fr0zen.com/guides.html

If I find anything better - I will post the links later - good luck.

Regards Arie