[plug] ubuntu live dvd

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sat Sep 16 16:23:46 WST 2006

Michael Holland wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006, Jim Householder wrote:
>
>> I selected the first menu entry to start ubuntu.  Things appeared to
>> proceed normally (no errors reported).  Then the screen went black.
>
> How far did you get? No more choices after the boot menu?
> You saw the graphics console, but X didn't work ?

No more choices were presented after the boot menu.  After some booting
messages in brown the screen went blank.  X appeared to be working but
displaying nothing.

>> would enter standby mode.  Neither keyboard nor mouse had any effect.
>
> Did you try CTRL-ALT-F1 to get out of X, back to the console, or
> ctrl-alt-backspace?
> Otherwise how were able to view the log ?

Ctrl-alt-F2.  C-a-backspace terminated X, which then restarted.

>> I just tried again and found a number of error messages at the end of
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log indicating problems accessing /dev/wacom.
>
> The wacom stuff is normal. You can ignore it.
>
> If you e-mail me the Xorg.0.log, I'll take a look.

Thanks.  I will try again and save the log file and the xorg.conf that
was used.

Rather odd:  I tried c-a-F1 to F8 and got the following:
F1:  logged in to :0 - normal bash prompt
F2 - F6:  logged in to tty1, tty5, tty2, tty4, tty3
F7:  no signal.  However c-a-backspace causes the signal to be asserted
briefly until X has restarted.
F8:  looks like a boot log.

> Otherwise, it might be easiest to do a text-mode install, and then
> fix X afterwards.

I really don't want to install, just check it out.

Jim