[plug] ubuntu live dvd

Michael Holland myk at myk.id.au
Sun Sep 17 11:12:51 WST 2006

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006, Jim Householder wrote:

> I got it working by massaging xorg.conf - not something I'd want to do
> when trying to show a potential convert how easy it is to use GNU/linux
> these days.

Jim,
it looks like a conflict between the VESA driver and your particular video
card, but the NV driver is OK.
Normally the VESA driver works fine with MX440 cards, and I expect Ubuntu
use it by default as a safer option.
  I notice in the log that it has not auto-detected your monitor (no PnP?)
so it is possibly using a timing that your monitor cannot handle, but
unlikely.

> I was disappointed that my hardware was not correctly identified.  It's
> about 4 years old.

I guess they could have a blacklist of driver/hardware bugs, if it was a
known bad combination, and the particular card can be identified. (is that
possible with a generic card?)