[plug] dual screens at different resolutions and dragNdrop

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 11:09:53 WST 2006

> I have been using a single screen which works well, except that because
> the LCD has a maximum Y res of 768 (1366x768 widescreen), the external
> monitor wont do any resolution past 768 in the Y direction (I suspect
> this is a driver problem/bug/design choice) - turning off DCC and EDID
> didnt help.
>
> It will work in split resolutions (int=1366x768, ext=1280x1024) if I use
> two screens, however a window on one screen wont "drag" across to the
> other screen (however the mouse can drag desktop icons across).  A
> previous Q to the list recommended xinerama - dragNdrop between screens
> works, but I am back to a 768 max restriction (I suspect that xinerama
> cant deal with screens running different resolutions.

Xinerama can handle multiple screens of any resolution - the
resolutions don't have to match.

> Any ideas on how I can run the LCD and external monitors in different
> resolutions and dragNdrop between the screens?
>
> The two screen no xinerama xorg.conf can be found at
> http://wdk.dyndns.org/xorg-i915.conf.html

The configuration looks good to me. I suspect it would be a driver
limitation of some kind. Not all drivers support Xinerama properly.

Does the Xorg log file give any hints? I know the nVidia driver quite
happily tells you in the log when it can't do things (ie: 'NVIIDIA(0):
such and such enabled: disabling something else you want').

Daniel Foote.