[plug] Slow kernel build

Fred Janon fjanon at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 19:33:30 WST 2006

Build speed:
I don't know what the 'bogomips' are, but the P4 is a MUCH faster
processor than the Celeron. Their architectures are totally different
and yes the internal cache size also makes a difference, not only the
size but the architecture. That's why there are no servers with a
Celeron proc but there was tons of them with a P4. Last week I used a
Celeron based machine with 1 GB RAM, it took 5 mins to build my app
versus 30 seconds with a P4 with half the memory. One of my friends
used to do marketing at Intel Santa Clara, they know how to sell their
products (read fool the benchmarks...).

I wouldn't mind swapping my Celeron machine for your P4 if you really
think the P4 is slower... :) Just kidding...