[plug] Slow kernel build

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 19:38:28 WST 2006

> The odd bit:  A kernel build takes 30 minutes on A, and using the same
> .config takes 162 minutes on B!  Memory does not appear to be the
> problem as swap is unused and there is at least 8% physical memory free.
>   Nothing else is running to compete for cpu cycles other than the usual
> services.
>
> Would the smaller cache size account for the difference, or do I need to
> look elsewhere?

Yes, and no.
Things like disk IO, gcc version, and cache can all effect compile
time. But yes, IMHO I think the cache size difference would make a
large difference.

Just something to think about... How about cutting down your compile
down even more. Use distcc to allow both machines to help in the
compiling. I used to do this, until I got an AMD64, and well, I was
too lazy to setup a chroot so other machines could benefit from the
power, but I originally used distcc when I played with gentoo, and
it's a great way to reduce things like kernel compile time!!

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956
Don't email joeblogs at scouts.org.au