[plug] Billion modem-router

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Sep 22 21:30:00 WST 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 08:16:13AM -0400, Milan Pospisil wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>             My Billion BiPAC7402VL VoIP ADSL Modem-Router decided to
> call it a day and I need a replacement rather urgently.

May I have a play with it? ::-)

> Could someone please recommend a half way decent piece of equipment(
> or perhaps share his experience, whatever it may be) which will work
> with Linux at a modest 512 K speed(or perhaps a bit higher :-)
>  It does not have to be a VoIP modem-router, all I need ATM is a name
> of a modem-router, preferably with an inbuilt firewall, which has been
> proven to work reliably with Linux. As soon as I have that info I
> intend to nose-in to the local computer shop nearby(PLE, MCG
> Technology, whoever...) and see what is available.... As I've said
> before I need the ADSL connection rather badly. Any info is welcome.

I haven't tried a lot of them... An older model non-router D-Link for
a little while, then a Billion 5100 which is still going strong at full
ADSL-1 speed, and a D-Link DSL-G604T at my mum's.

Pretty much any web-configurable ethernet modem-router will work fine
with Linux. I have heard of some with Internet Explorer-friendlier web
pages, but you'd have to be pretty unlucky to hit that on a new modem
with a current browser. (and you could always return it)

PLE and MCG Technology both list the Netgear DG834 with and without
wireless - they're cheap, and they run Linux themselves, with decent
firewalling capabilities. The wireless version is the most popular
modem on:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/
(see the bottom right popularity tables)

There's also easily accessible tech specs on all these modems there,
and you can check the forums for people's experiences. Try not to buy
by brand, see if people have had problems with that particular model.

PLE stocks the DSL-G604T - also popular - it works with (and runs)
Linux too. I haven't dug into the firewalling much.

...and they stock a selection of Billions. If you skip the VoIP, they're
cheap too.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal