[plug] Billion modem-router

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Sep 22 23:39:45 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 09:49 -0400, Milan Pospisil wrote:
> On 9/22/06, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 08:16 -0400, Milan Pospisil wrote:
> > >snip<<
>
> > Well, I've been using an Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro for the last 3 1/2
> > years, and it works well for what I want. It was the cheapest I could
> > get at the time from Westnet, and one of the old cadre here (Craig
> > Ringer?) mentioned that he traded a number of Billion ADSL routers for
> > Alcatels just to get something that worked better.
>
> Well, it looks like there might have very well been a good reason for it:-(
>   I must admit that I have heard a lot of stories about Billion
> modem-routers (none of which I intend to repeat on public),
> unfortunately after I had already bought mine.
> >
> > I have used the Gibson site to probe my IP address from the outside, and
> > I am hidden like a nuclear sub. - the only thing I have a problem with
> > is opening ports to allow the outside world to talk to me - think
> > Bittorrent.
>
> Ouch :-(

AND I went through their site, and it appears the the Speedtouch Pro is
discontinued, so get a Linux based one like some of the other guys have
been saying. At least if you're bored, you can recompile the kernel on
it. ;-)

There are II types of people - those who can count like Romans and
those who can't.

Linux Counter user #306629