[plug] Billion modem-router

Milan Pospisil pospim at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 00:33:27 WST 2006

On 9/22/06, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 10:53 -0400, Milan Pospisil wrote:

> > > 512
> > >
> > > A common problem with Billion ADSL modem/routers - the switch contacts
> > > burn away over a period of time - due to the switch contact being made of
> > > very thin copper plate and when switched across the contacts the copper
> > > plate gets burnt away by arcing across the contacts.
> >
> >  The symptoms associated with my problem seem to be rather different.
> >   ATM I am having difficulties to establish the Point to Point
> > Protocol link as well as the selected values diverting without a
> > reason back to the factory preset values i.e. firewall disabled, user
> > name and paswordf being changed to original factory defaults etc. That
> > with the machine being on 24/7 with no known power glitch or failure.
>
> Ummm, I have no idea about your level of expertise, but you did seem
> worried about Linux compatibility and now you've been talking about PPP
> links.

OK The original idea was like this: I have pretty much written off the
Billion VoIP modem-router. IMHO if it can not hold under constant
power the preselected values, there is something wrong and it goes
beyond the end user software entry inputs . Given the fact, that it is
still under warranty, I will have to send it back to the manufacturer
for repair/replacement. ATM the supplier(not the manufacturer) claims
that there is a problem with my ISP or settings. And of course, the
ISP claims that I have a hardware problem and there is nothing wrong
with their system. One way to find the truth is to get another modem
and establish the connection(and something is telling me that it may
not be that hard) and take the next steps from there. That's where my
original question came from. I need a piece equipment which will
simply work(with Linux), so that I have a solid reference point for my
warranty claim as well as an access to the ADSL.

> Is this machine of yours an ethernet connected modem/router, or a USB
> connected one?

No, it is not a USB modem

> The Alcatel I suggested is ethernet connected, and there is no need for
> PPOE or any such thing - plug it in to the ethernet port and use the
> browser to configure, so Linux compatibility is not a big deal - the
> configuration needs to be compatible with Firefox or Konqueror rather.

OK, I had the PPP link on my mind, specifically the green PPP light on
the front panel It seems to go on end off for no reason and every time
it would go off the Internet connection drops off as well, while the
ADSL light stays on.

> I suddenly got the idea we were talking past each other here .....

Yes you are right. I do have a limited knowledge in this area and that
is the reason why I asked.