[plug] Billion modem-router

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Sep 22 23:05:12 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 10:53 -0400, Milan Pospisil wrote:
> On 9/22/06, Arie Hol <arie99 at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> >

> > On 22 Sep 2006 at 8:16, Milan Pospisil wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Folks,
> > >              My Billion BiPAC7402VL VoIP ADSL Modem-Router decided to call
> > > it a day and I need a replacement rather urgently. Could someone please
> > > recommend a half way decent piece of equipment( or perhaps share his
> > > experience, whatever it may be) which will work with Linux at a modest
> > 512
> > > K speed(or perhaps a bit higher :-)
> >
> > A common problem with Billion ADSL modem/routers - the switch contacts
> > burn away over a period of time - due to the switch contact being made of
> > very thin copper plate and when switched across the contacts the copper
> > plate gets burnt away by arcing across the contacts.
>
>  The symptoms associated with my problem seem to be rather different.
>   ATM I am having difficulties to establish the Point to Point
> Protocol link as well as the selected values diverting without a
> reason back to the factory preset values i.e. firewall disabled, user
> name and paswordf being changed to original factory defaults etc. That
> with the machine being on 24/7 with no known power glitch or failure.

Ummm, I have no idea about your level of expertise, but you did seem
worried about Linux compatibility and now you've been talking about PPP
links.

Is this machine of yours an ethernet connected modem/router, or a USB
connected one?

The Alcatel I suggested is ethernet connected, and there is no need for
PPOE or any such thing - plug it in to the ethernet port and use the
browser to configure, so Linux compatibility is not a big deal - the
configuration needs to be compatible with Firefox or Konqueror rather.

I suddenly got the idea we were talking past each other here .....

There are II types of people - those who can count like Romans and
those who can't.

Linux Counter user #306629