[plug] email left on ISP's server

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sun Sep 24 13:50:59 WST 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 13:26 +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
> Hi Gavin
>
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, quoth Gavin Chester:
>
> > I have developed the practice of setting my mail client to leave a copy
> > of my hosted-business-address emails on the host server for two reasons:
> > 1/ to have a remote archive; and, 2/ to allow for accessing mail from
> > different PCs that aren't otherwise kept in sync.
>
> I assume you are using POP3 to do this, where the "leave mail on server"
> option is really nothing but a hack, resulting in the problems you
> discuss.

Yes, I'm just talking about using POP3, so thanks for alerting that the
problem _could_ be my end.

> Consider switching to IMAP instead, which is designed to do exactly what
> you are trying to do,

Thanks, I had been advised elsewhere/previously of IMAP's suitability
for what I am trying to do (and as you outlined, suitability with a
shared mailbox).  But I am unclear (newbie alert!) which of these would
be the best/only option:
1/ the remote host has to provide IMAP and I access it with evolution
setup for IMAP delivery; or,
2/ I access my remote host with sendmail (?) and run IMAP on as a local
service (eg, dovecote) and then local delivery client access.

I know with a previous host that they didn't support IMAP their end.  If
that is a general case, then I guess that points to (2) as the only
option :-/  I will obviously have to read up a bit to understand this
better, but you have helped show me that I don't really have ground to
give my host a big serve :-)

Gavin