[plug] Apache2 questions

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 18:09:10 WST 2006

On 9/28/06, Lee Jamieson <leejam at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I changed that one too, and it still didn't work; I was getting a 403
> forbidden error.  I'm not sure how to allow access to anonymous
> computers, but when I get home I'll go through the apache docs again
> and see if I can set that.
>
> Out of curiosity, I changed everything back to it's original state,
> and tried again.  From firefox on my XP box the Apache splash page
> displayed, but from IE there was another 403 forbidden; also from my
> brother's computer in perth, he got the same thing.
>
> Is that to do with anonymous connections or something?  As I said,
> I'll go do some light reading (NOT!) and see what I come up with.

I would suspect directory permissions with 403s. The best way to find
out whats causing the problem is to look at the apache error log;
typically /var/log/apache2/error.log under debian. This will have a
more detailed message as to why the client was rejected.

If you're getting different results on different browsers, I would
imagine that the page is being cached in some of them - try holding
down shift and clicking refresh to force the browser to not cache.
This should at least get you consistent results - there should be no
reason why apache will reject Firefox and not IE from the same
computer (out of the box), so the error was probably being cached by
IE.

--Patrick

--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au