[plug] kdesktop & icewm together

Michael Holland myk at myk.id.au
Mon Apr 9 09:28:20 WST 2007

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Gavin Chester wrote:

> Background: I have a low-end laptop of 400MHz with only 128Kb ram.  It

I'm surprised you can even get Grub or LILO to boot with 128K. Maybe
Xenix?

Try using ps or top to see how much memory kdesktop is using.
I just tried launching kdesktop on a low-end server, and it soon
showed 58MB resident!! (ie actually used, not just virtual. including
kdeinit and the five other KDE processes that it started.)

> So, my question is: is this combo a workable option, or would I be
> bogging ice down to run kdesktop?

Ice will be OK, but they won't work together, and you'll have way less RAM
left for any large applications. Why not just try it?

BTW, I just tried icewm for the first time, and am very impressed for a
WM that only uses a few MB of RAM. (much less than a single gnome applet)