[plug] rave about virtualbox

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon Apr 23 15:44:02 WST 2007

Kirk Turner wrote:
>> I'm about to go drop some $$ on a mac mini and I had planned to triple
>> boot macos, ubuntu and XP,
>> but this is so good I'll just run a windows VM in ubuntu instead.
>
> One thing to note with buying a mac mini - we've been playing around
> with one at work and found that the sky2 network driver is still
> marked as experimental. We're hoping that the 2.6.21 kernel release
> will change that status, but we're finding that the uptime on the
> network is not stable enough yet  for our usage - mind you we are
> pumping a lot of data across the network link so for normal use you
> may not notice as the bugs we've found look like issues with TX
> resets.

Yeah, I've got a co-lo mac mini in the UK and I've had the TX lock up once on me. That's an old
2.6.17 kernel though. This is just planned as a desktop. I'm planning on heavy bandwidth usage on
the GB network though, but with any luck they'll pin the problems soon. It's not production critical
though so I can cope with a driver reload or reboot as required.\

Ta for the headsup tho..

Brad