[plug] [OT] Companies in Perth that can flash BIOS chips

Dion tenzero at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 5 19:56:04 WST 2007

Gavin Chester wrote:
> [skirting the issue that this was marked OT on the main list ;-) ]
Sorry, I've not posted off topic before. I simply assumed that marking
in [OT] was all one did.
When  (if) my machine is running again  I will check how it should be done.
> Is it really only a one-shot affair? :-/

Some bios' are more forgiving than others. Mine appears to be in the
latter category.
> I have limited experience flashing a bios on several different boards,
> but I recall having to do at least one more than once. The idea of
> course is that you boot and flash from floppy, so if it fails you boot
> again from the floppy. Is that not an option for you?

Agreed and thats essentially the path I have taken. Use a boot floppy
with the flash utility and the image file.
However the flash utility crashed or stopped responding after it
produced a statement saying all blocks up to 1FFFF were OK.

I could not exit or interact with the program. Even ctrl + alt + del
didn't respond.
There was nothing else I could do but reset the machine. I know that
doing this is nearly always fatal if the machine is in the middle
of flashing the bios but there weren't any other apparent options.

The machine naturally doesn't boot. I've tried clearing the cmos and
clearing the cmos with the battery removed and the machine unplugged.
No matter what, it will not post at all.

Some bios can poll the floppy and look for an autoexec.bat even if the
display isn't functioning. My machine however does not poll the floppy
when powered up.

So it seems to me, that I need to get a new flash chip with my bios
image file on it.

Cheers.
D.