[plug] How to convert without having to support??

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Mon Aug 6 16:11:42 WST 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 15:55 +0800, Paul Antoine wrote:
> Folks,

<snip on topic stuff ;-)>

> Now here's the rub: I don't want to have to teach/support him as I
> simply don't have the time.  I'd like his kids/grandkids to be able to
> do that for him, but am afraid that their unfamiliarity with Ubuntu will
> make them ineffective in that regards.

Yes.  If they're let loose on it, their first support move will be to
install a cracked version of XP.  Lacking any Linux skills/ interest,
what else can they do?

> Ideas? Suggestions?  I await your collective wisdom...

Does Computer Angels still run training?  Perhaps that's an option if
they do.

Given what looks like a growing interest in Linux/Ubuntu, maybe there is
some demand for Ubuntu based training for beginners.  Perhaps someone
skilled in the arts of both teaching and Linux may be able to make a
nice little sideline earner running some form of community course at one
of the tafes.  I assume such things still exist (community courses; I
realise tafes still exist!)

> Paul Antoine

Tim Bowden