[plug] How to convert without having to support??

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 6 16:13:35 WST 2007

G'day Paul

Paul Antoine wrote:
> Folks,
>
> In deference to everyone's desire for on-topic content, I proffer the
> following conundrum:
>
> I have been approached by an acquaintance who wishes to connect to the
> Internet for the first time.  He's 60+ year old pensioner and
> computer-illiterate, though his kids/grandkids are not of course.
> He's also cheap... and wants a computer for $300.
>
> No problem I thought.  I have lots of old PIII bits lying around which
> will happily run Ubuntu, and another friend of his has donated a
> screen, keyboard and mouse.
>
> I want him to run Ubuntu so he doesn't have to buy an M$ license for
> XP (Win98 is now no longer supported with fixes) and to help him avoid
> the worries of malware, spyware and viruses.
>
> Now here's the rub: I don't want to have to teach/support him as I
> simply don't have the time.  I'd like his kids/grandkids to be able to
> do that for him, but am afraid that their unfamiliarity with Ubuntu
> will make them ineffective in that regards.
>
> Ideas? Suggestions?  I await your collective wisdom...

Excuse the typos, as I'm typing whilst running and ducking for cover.
The only distro out there which really is pretty much ready for the
user/s you describe is Xandros (Linspire doesn't compare imo).  The only
problem, from my point of view, with Xandros, is that they're one of the
companies which have done a deal with the dark side.  If none of that
bothers you, I have a copy of the latest free version DVD, which you are
welcome to copy.  Xandros have aimed their product squarely at the
Windoze refugee market.  It's /designed/ to feel familiar to Windoze
users.  So much so that the main criticism I've heard is that it looks
and feels too much like Windoze.  Yet under the bonnet is a fairly
ordinary Debian distro, which, within a couple of constraints, he can
eventually tweak almost to his heart's content.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you'd like to have a look.

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We used to use and recommend Xandros but they went to the dark side
So we'll soon be using and recommending Debian Etch
There are 11 types of people ...
   ... those who understand Roman numerals, and those who don't!
"Jesus Christ is the centre of everything and the object of everything;
He who does not know him, knows nothing of the order of the world
and nothing of himself."             Blaise Pascal