[plug] Beryl gone south

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Tue Aug 7 07:51:01 WST 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 07:18 +0800, Steve Baker wrote:
> Tim Bowden wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've had beryl installed on my ubuntu 7.04 laptop for some time, and all
> > has been well.  The other day the desktop cube functionality
> > disappeared.  Tonight I tried to get it back.  Removing .beryl did
> > nothing, so I removed and re-installed all things beryl related.  Now I
> > have the beryl settings manager, but no beryl functionality.  No wobbly
> > windows, no cube, nothing.  I don't even have the desktop effects menu
> > entry that previously existed under the system menu.  Anyone got any
> > suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tim Bowden
> >
> Is beryl actually running?  I had a similar problem once after an
> upgrade to the video drivers, which impacted the 3D functions of beryl
> (ie. beryl crashed out when trying anything 3D).  Has your window
> manager dropped back to metacity (or whatever your fall-back window
> manager is)?
>
> Regards,
> Steve

No beryl wasn't running, and yes metacity was running.  Installing
beryl-manager did the trick;  It seems beryl is not dependant on
beryl-manager.  beryl-settings was there, and while it's good for
configuring beryl, it's not good for starting it.  For some reason the
ubuntu menu item for enabling beryl wasn't being created with a
re-install of beryl.

No idea why beryl stopped working in the first place though.  I guess
that's what can happen with beta software.

Thanks,
Tim