[plug] re: virualisation

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 10:16:55 WST 2007

On 8/27/07, Paul Antoine <pma-la at milleng.com.au> wrote:
<snip>
> I have run apps under both VMWare and Wine/Crossover and VMWare is
> definitely more resource hungry (which stands to reason.)  If you need
> "full" XP compatibility, then VMWare is the way you have to go. I'm not
> sure what state Xen is in wrt XP... anyone care to comment?

Xen is faster than VMWare, but needs a recent processor (Athlon64,
newer Intels, etc) to do XP. Linux/FreeBSD VMs will run on anything.

I've not tried it myself, but from what I hear it works well. If you
were planning to play games on the XP VM, be aware that passing
graphics cards through for 3D acceleration is not possible (see
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-08/msg00165.html).

Otherwise, just get a dual core machine and gobs of ram and it'll be
fairly fast.

-Patrick

--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au - WA Backup, Web and VPS Hosting