[plug] USB wireless adapter

PG & DL Connell connellp at wantree.com.au
Mon Aug 27 21:01:54 WST 2007

PG & DL Connell wrote:
> Alec Monger wrote:
>> Hello everyone, first time poster here.
>> I've just started playing with Linux, but I bought a USB wireless
>> adapter and can't get it to
>> work.
>> Basically, I installed Xubuntu on an old Celeron 433MHz, bought a
>> TP-Link TL-WN321G adapter
>> and installed the drivers for it, but something's not registering.
>> I posted the question on a couple of forums but got no response.
>> Rather than post it all
>> again, it can be viewed here
>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=574828
>> Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
>>
>> If posting a link is in breach, let me know.

> Alec
>       I have just finished getting a TP-Link TL-WN321G adapter working
> on my Dapper system so I can appreciate what you have gone thru.  What
> driver are you using, Ralink RT73 or the 2x00 legacy RT73?  What is in
> the /etc/RTSTS/RT73..dat file? (I may have the name/path wrong, I'm
> doing this on a Win machine.  I will check out my setup and get back.
>
> PaulC

Alec
          Now that I've had a chance to reflect what you've written in
LinuxQuestions.org, I realise that your driver seems to be working.  I
would suggest that the problem lies in configuring it to match your
Access Point.  My AP is channel 10 but I had to set my TL-WN321G to
channel 11 for it to work.  That and setting a static IP address.  I
haven't got DHCP working over the adapter yet.  There was a third point
but I've forgotten what is was.  Given time, it will come to me.  In the
meantime, try those two points.

PaulC