[plug] USB wireless adapter

PG & DL Connell connellp at wantree.com.au
Tue Aug 28 22:47:30 WST 2007

Alec Monger wrote:
> --- PG & DL Connell <connellp at wantree.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Alec Monger wrote:

>>> Thanks Paul, I'll try that in the morning.
>>>
>>> Should I just cycle through the different channels and see if one works?
>>>
>>> Alec
>>>

>> Try it one higher than what your AP is set for.  I think it is the
>> starting from 0 or starting from 1 thing.  Which driver are you using?
>>
>> PaulC
>>

> I can't remember which driver, to be honest. I started with the rt73 but I think I installed
> the rt2x00(?) before I did the ndiswrapper and blacklisted the superfluous rt2x00 ones.
>
> I tried setting a manual IP and changing the channel, but it hasn't changed anything.
>
> While I'm a bit of a nerd and like tweaking and tuning, I really can't be bothered spending
> too much time on this. I'll probably swap the usb adapter for a card.
>
> Though there's one point that might be of interest. The adapter has a green light on it that
> flashes about 15 times quickly and repeatedly. Does yours do that Paul?
>
> Alec
>

>       ____________________________________________________________________________________ Sick of deleting your inbox? Yahoo!7 Mail has free unlimited storage.
> http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/unlimitedstorage.html

Alec
          The flash is a good thing.  That means the adapter is in fact
transmitting.  The problem is that the adapter and the AP haven yet got
the same configuration.  The basic elements that need to be the same are:
Chanel (actually needs to be Adapter = AP + 1),
SSID or ESSID, and
Encryption.
          In my configuration, SSID = default  and Enc = off.
          Also, what I could not remember last night.  I haven't seen
Xubuntu, but in Ubuntu I went System-Administration-Networks (Ithink)
and this allowed me to set IP address, netmask and gateway for the
rausb0 interface, and more importantly, to set rausb0 as the default
interface.
          I am using Dapper Ubuntu with a 2.6.15-28 kernel.  I
originally tried Ndwrapper with the XP driver but had no luck  I then
did a lot of googling and looked at the Serialmonkey's rt2x00 project
and rt73 legacy drivers but ended up using the bog standard Ralink
Technologies RT73 driver RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.3.6.tar.gz.  This needs
to be compiled against you kernel.  It produces a loadable kernel module
rt73.ko, a configuration file rt73sta.dat, and a binary file rt73.bin.
I came across an excellent step by step howto.  I cannot remember where
I found it but I have a printed copy if you are ever interested, contact
me off-list.
           Hope all this helps, but feel free to contact me on list or
off list if you have questions.  I must admit I was ready to give it all
away myself and then it just started working and I have'nt looked back
since.  Still need to work on dhcp, encryption and WPA but at least it
works.
PaulC