[plug] Re: Companies using Linux around Perth

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Sun Dec 2 20:43:02 WST 2007

iiNet does *not* use recruiters, and all the recruiters in town know so:
the recruiter in question was flat-out lying.

iiNet is convinced they are so good they don't have to pay well.
Turnover is a natural consequence of this as anyone who has employed
people is well aware.   Massages, fruit and free booze only go so far as
eventually they all want big shiny plasma screens :-)

Seriously though, salaries in Perth are a good deal lower than the east
coast, and Linux use here seems very low.  If you happen to be Cisco
certified or have Oracle version-the-latest DBA experience then you'll
have more luck, and much more luck if you happen to have "mining
experience" (deity alone knows why that matters.)

Elsewhere UWA was mentioned - although some departments use Linux it is
my understanding that the main IT dept. is an M$/Cisco shop.  I recently
completed a small (but stunningly useful ;-) php application for a
research organisation despite UWA IT's objections to all things free.
Seems a degree is necessary for employment there but not any form of
common sense regarding appropriate use of technology... sigh.

Not that Perth's IT/employment proclivities are getting me down at
all... I suppose I must put it down to having spent too much time in
Sydney and San Francisco :-P

Maybe I should form startup #7 and pay people just above iiNet's
salaries sans the massages?  The fruit has to stay... ;-)

P.