[plug] 64-bit annoyances

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Dec 16 12:28:48 WST 2007

One of these may help (particularly the wiki) - there are
ways/workarounds!

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=2
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_AMD_64
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4614683.html?sid=882ee027fff97617947aff39b0b6a030

I have two 64 bit machines (one core2duo at work and one amd64 as a
mythbox) and decided to go 32bit on both to sidestep these problems with
the idea of upgrading in the future.  However, as gentoo doesnt offer a
32->64 upgrade path (requires a reinstall) they will probably stay 32bit
forever.

As far as I can see, there is no real everyday performance advantage to
going 64bit - that is, better than a few % across the board, and there
are (or were?) applications that ran slower.  I need to be proven wrong
about this before rebuilding them as 64bit!

BillK

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 20:54 +0900, Jim Householder wrote:
> Hi
>
> I thought, as long as I'm upgrading, I might as well go 64-bit.  Gentoo
> on an AMD Athlon 6000+.  Very quick.  Very nice.  But...
>
> Adobe still does not appear to support AMD64 so no flash for web stuff.
> Brother's cupswrapper for my printer wants csh, which is masked for
> AMD64, so I cannot use my it (MFC-425CN, which uses the Brother MFC-210C
> software).
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Jim
Home in Perth!