[plug] 64-bit annoyances

Michael quadfour at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 17 00:10:46 WST 2007

I've been operating a hybrid 64/32 bit linux distro for years... and
I've probably tried them all. There is up to a 10% improvement across
the board (apparently, don't quote me on that). There's even been a few
proof of concept optimisations showing 400%ish improvement :)

Anyhow, that's besides the point. There is plenty of software (normally
games) that don't have 64 bit binaries, so I normally double up on core
libraries etc. RPM makes life easy there, RPM has biarch support and
it's fully capable of taking care of all of the dependencies etc that go
with it. I note Gentoo still uses x86-compat packages to achieve the
same, though I'm not sure how far that goes with actual applications
etc.

Now the point... :p. I'd like to see biarch support in APT.

Cheers