[plug] Re: PLUG library

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 06:21:03 WST 2007

On 2/6/07, Ben Woods <woodsb02 at gmail.com> wrote:
> To Ken and PLUG members:
>
> In addition to those comments found in prior emails below, I have the
> following ideas for the library this year in the hope it will gain
> some more attention:
>
> - Update the database of available items to accurately match what is available
>
> - Move the library search function to the main page so non-members can
> search it also... this might actually encourage a few memberships if
> they wanna borrow an item or 2!
>
> - Try to keep the library up to date with the latest versions of free
> linux and bsd resources (such as the latest fedora, opensuse, ubuntu,
> slackware, freebsd etc...)
>
> - Get a shiny new box to keep all the cds in (last time i saw the
> collection it was all in a pretty old looking cardboard container.. is
> that still the case? I was thinking a nice new fancy metal cd holding
> case would be nice :)
>
> - Obviously change the contacts lists to have myself as the contact...
> but also on the library page which is linked from the main page (which
> currently has the librarian before yourself it would seem).
>
> - Perhaps try and track the new releases of distros (using
> distrowatch) and send a librarians email to the main PLUG list when a
> new release is out and the cd has been added to the plug library. This
> would dramatically raise the library awareness.
>
> What do you think of these ideas? I think the main problem with the
> library is the age of the included distros. Honestly, most people
> would be looking to get their hands on the latest stuff... not the
> real old versions... wouldn't you say?
>
> Just wanted to run the ideas by you guys. It would obviously be a bit
> more work... and I hope I dont get slack and let it slip. Perhaps I
> could get people to donate their old linux and BSD cds they have lying
> around to the cause? Fingers crossed :)
>
> Cheers
>
> -Ben

They all sound like really good ideas. I also wanted to add I recall
some people on the list asking for resource who live in greater
Western Australia; is there some kind of postal arrangement that can
be set up for mailing these resource around, a la Quickflix/Bigpond
movies (well the idea anyway)? Perhaps if only just to mention that it
can be arranged?

Tomasz