[plug] Skype - what it is and what it provides

Nathan D natdan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 20:57:19 WST 2007

On 08/02/07, Bret Busby <bret@  > wrote:

> Can someone please clarify what is required, and how it works, to use a
> webcam/Skype setup?
>
> I saw a Logitech webcam with Skype, for about $100, that is supposed
> to give 640x480 resolution, at about 30fps, and I was thinking that this
> could be a good way to communicate with people overseas, but I am not
> sure now, whether it would incur ongoing costs.

Best place for details might be here -
http://www.skype.com/products/priceoverview/

Listed as free is -
Calling other people on Skype
Video calls on Skype
One-to-one and group chats
Conference calls with up to nine people
Forwarding calls to other Skype Names

It appears that advanced services and interfacing with land and mobile
lines will incur a cost.
We installed Skype some time ago to talk with a friend in Dubai, but
she rarely came online and then Skype was blocked in the UAE.  There
endeth our Skype experience.

regards,
  Nathan D.

natdan at gmail.com