[plug] [Semi-OT] Laptops- Toshiba A100

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Mon Feb 12 18:12:08 WST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 12:08 +0900, Max wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:29 am, Tim Bowden wrote:
>
> SNIP.....
> > Battery life is not so
> > great; About 2 hrs, but that suits me fine as I'm mostly on mains.
> > It does limit what I can do while travelling, but I'd rather go for
> > raw power and speed as this is my main day to day work machine.
>
> thank you Tim,
> another thought or question,
> if used 'mostly on mains' then how hot does the laptop get being on for
> many hours at a time ?

I've just done a couple of runs of the ./configure make dance with
postgresql (takes a while) and the cpu temp got to mid 50's with full
cpu speed (1.67GHz) but normally it's about 40 - 45 on 1GHz.  That's hot
enough that when I have it on my lap in front of the telly in the
evenings doing web browsing/ email (ie light load) it's hot enough that
I have to put a cushion under it or it will start to get way too
uncomfortable.  My brothers Toshiba (not sure which model) has a p4
desktop cpu in it, and it gets hot enough to be unstable and has to shut
down so be careful what you get.  I've found the intel Centrino Duo to
be good value.

HTH,
Tim Bowden