[plug] OT: vmware

hns1 at iinet.net.au hns1 at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 15 08:26:04 WST 2007

Quoting "W.Kenworthy" <billk at iinet.net.au>:

> vmware are driving me crazy.  I need the vmware tools package for linux
> (running fedora on gentoo :) and I cant find the VMwareTools package on
> their website.  customer support isnt much help - takes 24 hours between
> emails and all I got so far was the workstation download page and no
> vmwaretools.

The vmware tools supply better than default drivers for their virtual hardware,
and allows features like transparent shift of control from the virtual X
environment to the host environment when the mouse leaves the virtual window.
It ships a number of small .iso's with the specific server product, and on my
centos / redhat hosts these live in
/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/
If I recall correctly you get both an .rpm and .tar.gz on these cd's.

The Server console has a VM->Install VMWare Tools option to insert the .iso in
the virtual CD drive. This might mount automatically in the guest depending on
whether the guest runs X with a suitable Window Manager.  If not you must mount
it manually in the guest.

Regards
  Hendrik