[plug] Off topic: looking for a cheap/simple network print server.

Michael Hunt michael at aussie.oddsocks.net
Thu Feb 15 16:59:11 WST 2007

Patrick Coleman wrote in reply to W.Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> who
originally wrote:

>> Can anyone recommend a simple network print server device available in
>> Perth.

<snip>

>> Unfortunately, using an old linux box is not a solution (in a home with
>> an older couple and I want to be able to set and forget - and run/walk
>> away :)

Can still be done :-)

> FWIW a linux box is certainly very low maintenance - I went the linux
> server route for a HP Deskjet and HP OfficeJet (both USB) about six
> months ago and I haven't had to touch the box since. I did a base
> install of debian stable (~300MB) and installed cups and the open
> source hp drivers.

Checkout whether Computer Angels still have any of their Compaq boxes
left. They were going for $5 each have two USB ports, low power and very
quiet and would be perfect for the job. Put in a card reader and you
could run the whole thing off of a memory card meaning little
possibility of corruption/failure.

Michael Hunt