[plug] Off topic: looking for a cheap/simple network print server.

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 15 17:55:00 WST 2007

Ive yet to see an old PC based linux box that is silent, very low power,
low maintenance, abuse and idiot proof.  Something like an ADSL modem
like appliance is needed.  Old/obsolete linux boxes have their place,
but some things should be done professionally (emphasis on
professionally). The alternative would be a network aware printer, but
those are at a premium, and feature sets are not what are needed.  My
fallback is to put it on a laptop they will be using as a mostly fixed
station and share it.  The printer they have chosen is USB as well :(
Some ADSL modems have a printer port - I need to check this out yet, but
the one I originally speced didnt have one.

Yes, for my own system, or if was a business where I had a maintenance
contract to look after it, or something that would run a number of
services, or needed complicated print services I would consider it (and
do).  But in this case it would be overkill and not appropriate.

BillK