[plug] Two questions about Debian system and upgrading

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Feb 23 04:04:09 WST 2007

I am running Debian Linux on my desktop computer, as a workstation.

At the login prompt, it says
"Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable".

In the /etc/apt/sources.list file, is
"
deb http://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/debian/ stable main contrib
non-free
deb http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
".

ls -l shows that the file is as it is, since 2007-01-01.

Updates have been performed, using Synaptic.

The first question is, how do I convert the system to Debian stable
(sarge)? As the sources are from stable, the installed packages should
now be mostly packages that would be in the stable version.

The second issue relates to the kernel. The kernel version appears to be
2.4.18-bf2.4 .The CPU is a Duron 1100, for which I believe that the
installed kernel is not the latest version.

Is it possible to update the kernel, without having to build a kernel
package? If so, how? I cannot find how to update the kernel, without
having to build a kernel package, in any of the documentation. When I
previously used Red Hat 7.2 (which was from before Red Hat went like
Microsoft), the update facility would update the kernel (although, each
time, I would have to manually update the file that pointed to the
kernel), but Synaptic won't do it.

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby