[plug] Two questions about Debian system and upgrading

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 17:47:32 WST 2007

Hi Bret,

Okey, firstly, if you're referencing "Stable" repositories in your
/etc/apt/sources.list, I'm pretty sure that's the only thing you have to
change to switch between stable/unstable/testing.  The message you see
at login prompt will merely be the message stored in /etc/profile, or
/etc/motd, or /etc/welcome (I can't remember for the life of me where
it's kept).  It may even be in /etc/defaults/version or something like
that, a google should provide an answer.

Doing a synaptic update should do everything apart from the latest
kernel module, you'll have a -kernel or similar in your
/etc/apt/apt.conf which tells it to ignore kernel updates.  I'm not sure
how good you are with kernel building, but I'd either be getting the
kernel sources from kernel.org and building it yourself, or remove the
-kernel directive from apt sources and attempt to update to the latest
debian kernel.  I remember installing sarge with an early 2.6.x kernel,
so you should be able to upgrade straight to that tree, the benefits are
usually noticeable.

Regards

Shannon